Stanley and Katherine Rajkowicz

Stanley and Katherine Rajkowicz
Stanley and Katherine (Kras) Rajkowicz and family (circa 1905)

Thursday, September 12, 2013

From Liverpool to Mayflower: More Family History


From what my Mom told me, the first set of dishes pictured below were in her parent's china closet. Every spring, the Raykovitz girls were tasked with - among other chores - taking these dishes out of the china closet, cleaning them, dusting the closet, and then returning the dishes until next spring rolled around.

Several months ago, I retrieved two sets of dishes from the Raykovitz family homestead. Based solely on the crackling and slight discoloration on some pieces, I felt the dishes pictured directly below were much older than the second set ( last pic below ), which my Mom recalls being a wedding gift to her parents from her mother's sister, Sally Geffert Adamczyk.

She was not certain where the first/older set came from.

After my Mom placed several phone calls to her siblings, her eldest sister Rita claimed this older pattern was given to her parents by her paternal grandparents, Stanley and Katherine Rajkowicz.

As per the information below, these dishes were made before 1903. Since John Theodore Raykovitz and Mary Barbara Geffert were married in 1918...the timeline works.




 
Below: Here's the mark on the bottom of the dish above. Notice the crackling.

 
 
Here's some of the info gleaned from my research on the internet:
 
 
 
The text from above:
 
ELPCO stands for East Liverpool Pottery Company, from Liverpool, Ohio, which made pottery from 1894 to 1903, then became Hall China Co. So, your plate was made before 1903.
 
And from another source:
 
 
 
So, considering the ELPCO dishes were at least 15 years old when they were passed down to my maternal grandparents, chances are fairly good that they were used by my great-grandparents and some of their children over 100 years ago.
 
Finally, here's a pic of one piece from the second set of dishes that were ( per my Mom...and she's always right ( ;o>) ) a wedding gift to her parents from my Mom's Aunt Sally.  
 
 
I'm going to take a slight break from posting.
 
Back in a few.
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment