Stanley and Katherine Rajkowicz

Stanley and Katherine Rajkowicz
Stanley and Katherine (Kras) Rajkowicz and family (circa 1905)

Monday, September 2, 2013

A Gift from Marymount


I found this latest piece of my mother's family history while crawling around in the attic this past weekend. My sister was peeking into the attic from the small access portal when I found this plaque wrapped in a plastic bag. We both uttered (almost) the same words when I held it up.

What I did not know until I showed it to my mother was that John and Mary Raykovitz received this for having the most children (6) enrolled at Marymount Grade/High School in Wilkes-Barre, PA at the same time.

I'm sure many of my cousins, as well as their parents, remember this adorning the walls at the family homestead in Mayflower.

This one find made all the crawling and sweating in that attic (a.k.a. sauna) well worth the effort. The plaque has "Cie La France Statuaire" engraved on the side. The only date I could find online for another piece made by this company was 1938. My mother guesses this was given to her family sometime in the early 1940's

More to follow in the days ahead.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment