Stanley and Katherine Rajkowicz

Stanley and Katherine Rajkowicz
Stanley and Katherine (Kras) Rajkowicz and family (circa 1905)

Monday, October 7, 2013

GAR Baseball, 1941 Graduation, Wood Shop


I spent Saturday and most of Sunday wading through even more boxes, nooks and crannies @ the family homestead. I'm physically beat this morning, so this will be a brief post.

Every time I think I won't be finding any more "stuff", I open another box or clear out another corner in the basement only to discover even more pieces of family history.
 
The newspaper clipping from ~1940 at the top of the blog ( and below ) was tucked away in a 1939 GARCHIVE - Raymond's sophomore year at GAR - and the Commencement Program from Raymond's graduation in 1941 was hidden in an old Easter card from much later.
 
 
 


  
Please check out on the GAR logo on the program's cover above, then check out this book rack and/or telephone stand I found tucked away in a corner of the back basement. I've seen enough "shop projects" over the years to believe this was made by someone in a woodworking-shop. To the semi-trained eye, there are enough minor imperfections to eliminate this from being mass-produced in a commercial factory setting.
 
I guess the question is: Who made this?  
 
 
 
Anyway, here's the rest of the GAR Memorial High School's 14th Annual Commencement Program from June 11th, 1941.
 
 
Above: Could you imagine trying to get "Rejoice in the Lord" approved as part of a public high school graduation program in 2013?
 
 
 
 

 
 
That tune will never be the same for me.

 
More to follow. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment