Stanley and Katherine Rajkowicz

Stanley and Katherine Rajkowicz
Stanley and Katherine (Kras) Rajkowicz and family (circa 1905)

Monday, August 12, 2013

A Cradle, a Singer, and Times Remembered

   
I will write a more detailed post in a future update, but I wanted to get these pics posted today.
 
This is THE cradle that rocked many of the sons & daughters of John T. & Mary B. (Geffert) Raykovitz to sleep in the family homestead in the Mayflower section of Wilkes-Barre. It was the latest of many finds, with more to follow I'm sure.
 
To my untrained eye, this piece of wooden furniture appears well beyond 90 years old, but based upon what my Mom said when she saw this yesterday, it definitely was the cradle she remembers using to rock a certain Bernard Michael to sleep. I'm waiting for some feedback to see if this cradle could be a much older hand-me-down from a prior generation.
 
More in a few.

I had not been in the "back" room of the basement for many years. This is what I saw when I opened the door.
 

 Hopefully, somewhere in the basement, I'll be able to find the stand and/or supports for the cradle that kept it elevated. If not, I'll have one made.


 
Cradle and Victrola reunited.
 
 
My Mom touches the family cradle again after ~75 years. Note the design carved into the top rail of the headboard.
 
 
Another item retrieved. According to the serial #, this Singer Sewing machine was manufactured in 1923.
 
Hey, this family history stuff is fun...especially when you can hold pieces of it in your hands.
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment