Stanley and Katherine Rajkowicz

Stanley and Katherine Rajkowicz
Stanley and Katherine (Kras) Rajkowicz and family (circa 1905)

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Remember and Honor: Carl (Karol) Raykowicz


I remember several of my maternal grandfather John's siblings; Uncle Carl, Uncle Mike, and Aunt Soph. I truly am a little fuzzy on the rest, as many of them passed when I was still very young.

Aunt Soph resided in her parents' home on S. Meade Street in Wilkes-Barre until the end. I remember her love of flowers, especially roses. I remember stopping over many times as a youth. I remember she didn't usually say much, but always treated me well and usually had some spare change for me which always prompted a trip to Chet Zawilski's Grocery Store at the corner of Meade & Dana Streets.



I also remember a trip to her house after she had passed, and what I recall during that visit will be the topic of my next post.

One of my relatives tells me my mother's Uncle Carl ( Karol ) Raykowicz was wounded at Anzio in WWII. My mother seems to recall that he also lost part of his foot due to frostbite during the war. As a result of this blog, I am beginning to hear more stories and receive more family mementos like the flag that draped Carl's casket, his Purple Heart pictured above, and several medals he received for his service.

In the end, I hope what I'm doing here and the stories I tell do them justice.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment